Areas of interest
- Screening, prevention and early diagnosis
- Primary Care
- Public Health
- Prostate Cancer
- Very happy to contribute to projects outside the areas above
PPI Patient Co-Lead, Experience: Prostate Cancer
My husband died of prostate cancer.
His treatments included prostatectomy, hormone treatment, chemotherapy, palliative radiotherapy. He took part in a phase 3 study using a vaccine to stimulate the body’s immune system to attack cancer cells. When there were no further licensed drugs available, he was recruited into a phase 3 study of a new drug, abiraterone, which had a very positive impact on his Quality of Life and extended his life.
Experience with Cancer Research
Over the last 8 years I’ve worked as a PPI contributor with a range of organisations - charities, academic institutions, NIHR and industry. I’m a member of the NCRI Consumer Forum. My experience includes:
- Supporting researchers with study submissions - particularly developing PPI plans to ensure they add value and drafting or reviewing lay summaries
- Being a member of study Steering Groups,Trial Management Groups and PPI advisory groups
- Involvement in a range of studies on screening, early detection and diagnosis as well as others on prostate cancer
- Being a lay member on funding panels, reviewing applications