Areas of Interest
- Early detection
- Mental health of cancer patients
- Multiple Myeloma
- Cancer treatment best practice
- Very happy to contribute to projects outside the areas above.
Experience: Blood Cancer
I was diagnosed with stage 3a Multiple Myeloma in July 2010, at the age of 49. After radiotherapy and six months of chemotherapy, I had a stem cell transplant in December 2010, went into remission but relapsed in September 2012. I had a second stem cell transplant in September 2013 using stem cells from a matched unrelated donor, following more chemotherapy and a donor lymphocyte infusion in November 2015, I am now in complete remission.
I was misdiagnosed on several occasions and was ultimately diagnosed having been referred privately for a MRI scan on my spine.
Experience with Cancer Research
- Founder and Chairman of the Oxford Myeloma Support Group
- Patient Expert for NICE
- Member of the Oxford Hospitals HaemBio Governance Committee
- Member of the Bloodwise, Bone Marrow Biopsy working party
- Member of the Oxford Hospitals Haematology Patient Panel
- Participant in Influenza Hospitalization Study
- Participant in RUDY study (rare and undiagnosed diseases study)